Author Topic: Sandbox Mode Suggestions  (Read 2711 times)

Sphagne

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sandbox Mode Suggestions
« on: 01 October 2014, 15:59:01 »
OK, this is a great game and has consumed a lot of my free time lately, but I understand why it is still called beta, as sometimes mouse clicks refuse to register and so on...

But as for the suggestions:

=== === === === === ===

I love the freedom of the sandbox mode, but sometime it seems a bit too free and we can build anything without any prerequisites.

So may I suggest another option added to the sandbox mode?

There can be another option, when starting the game in sand box mode, like:

"An example or recipe is required before we can craft any item,"

So when the players enable that option, they can only craft items that have found a recipe for them, or have found an example for them from monster loot, or from the shop.

The recipe for most basic items like ladder and torch should be dropped at first digging and cutting attempts, of course.

So if I want to craft a Golden Helmet for instance, I could buy the first one from the shop before I can craft the next instances.

In this mode, we can either pay the full price in golden coins for those items, or we can provide the ingredients for the shopper and pay a small fee for the craft: Like one coin for the basic items, and two coin for a bit more advanced ones and so on...

=== === === === === ===

Currently the portals have no use in sandbox mode.

How about a BOSS ROOM, i.e. a dungeon with a lot of dangerous foes and a final boss which would drop unique artifacts which we can not find otherwise, or optionally we could be announced the winner of the game.

This end portal can also be available of the final world of the campaign mode.

Or like Minecraft, this portal can teleport the dwarfs to another dimension, like "Nether", with a vastly different environment, that is not available in the beginning world selection modes, so that the players would want to create the portal to have access to the new unconventional world type.

With lava pools and hellish monsters and so on, for instance, or slime pools and alien/odd monsters, flora and fauna...

Also when we create those portals, there can be slightly different recipes that could lead to different styles of "Boss Rooms", or different destination world types.

So one recipe for portal could lead to a "Nether" style world and another could lead to an "Alien swamp" world, and so on...
« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 16:06:57 by Sphagne »

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox Mode Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2014, 11:06:37 »
I really like your idea about sandbox mode and this can diversify the gameplay.

About boss room, I think, the game already has some kind of room which you has described.
They located in every world under the ground. When you kill the boss out of him drops out some rare items and recipe from portal to another world, such as: Desert World, New Terra and Snow World.

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2014, 05:52:38 »
I am a sandbox-player too and because it fits the topic i make my suggest(s) here:

At the time i play only the first world mostly because of the giant underground-worm in frost-world (i hate that thing - it plunged once all my dwarves together with a stockpile into the lava, and there's nothing one can do when it appears) and the tornados in desert world ( i've never made it yet in 6 or 7 attempts - not even in "Very Easy" mode and rare weather events - to finish my shelter without any dead dwarves before).

So i hope for the 4th world and stick to the 1st for now, but i think there are a few players that would appreciate settings about the giant worm and tornados to be disabled - since both worlds already have other difficulties as wood & water shortage to deal with.

Anyway, the settings i wanted to suggest in the first place here, were the maps-size to be customizeable like i want to play in a world that has the width of a currently small or medium world but the depth of a large world.

playing Craft The World on Windows 10, Intel Core i5-3330 @3.0 GHz, 8 GB Ram, nVidia Gforce GT630 2 GB DDR3 @835MHz (+ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory)

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2014, 10:57:07 »
I am a sandbox-player too and because it fits the topic i make my suggest(s) here:

At the time i play only the first world mostly because of the giant underground-worm in frost-world (i hate that thing - it plunged once all my dwarves together with a stockpile into the lava, and there's nothing one can do when it appears) and the tornados in desert world ( i've never made it yet in 6 or 7 attempts - not even in "Very Easy" mode and rare weather events - to finish my shelter without any dead dwarves before).

So i hope for the 4th world and stick to the 1st for now, but i think there are a few players that would appreciate settings about the giant worm and tornados to be disabled - since both worlds already have other difficulties as wood & water shortage to deal with.

Anyway, the settings i wanted to suggest in the first place here, were the maps-size to be customizeable like i want to play in a world that has the width of a currently small or medium world but the depth of a large world.

The setting for 4th world would be - big cave. If you have any suggestions for this underground setting, we will happy to hear you.

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2014, 18:18:58 »
i have some "underground"-thoughts already, concerning existing creatures:
(i'm used to play on "normal" difficulty)

-dragons & giant ants-

both DO NOT attack ballista (wooden arrow-tower) nor tesla. I could send you some savegame - but i think you'll believe me if i tell you that i can design my underground (ant-nests and open space above lava) a way to "farm XP" by placing these towers. For the dragons i also "farm" valuable armor, bones & meat by designing their area filled with not too dense placed weak towers (smallest tesla or wooden towers) and they have a chance to get adult. I think the older dragons give better loot.
 So it was not a good idea in my eyes to re-implement the towers giving xp on kills but now it's probably too late to remove it again- so at least these creatures should not ignore the towers that attack them

the ants should move further away from theirs nest if the way is open and they should be able to pass open doors also. And they should "harvest" the plants/leaves in their caves, else they get overgrown and can not move any more.

dragons damage is hilarious small, i don't fear for my dwarves if they have to fight a dragon... the dragons should not have weapons nor armor in their loot but maybe some ores and dragons eggs if a use for them (see below doubling-bug)

-necromancing dark elves (portal-part keepers)-

they cast their fireballs in a way to high frequency for my feelings, and they should not be placed into a cave that has a brick-floor above lava. I don't even need to use a spell to get rid of him, just switch the brick-wall appearance and he's gone... what does he have that i can't craft? why should i bother fighting him? And why are they that strong (it's exaggerated, also their health) and why can they cast fireballs and hit dwarves through the wall even if door is closed again?
I would suggest to place all portal-part keepers into dungeons that have at least undestroyeable floor-blocks or to give recipe only if the keeper had contact with a dwarf. Their caves design & position of elve inside the cave should not be that random as currently- should work with undestroyeable blocks and doors here to shape the players path...
And if the keeper is not an undead himself- why does he not drown? I've made a lot of effort once to built him a nice "bath-tub", collected lots of water (it's a real hard job that should be rewarded...)   

..and some more:

-doubling-bug-

sometimes it appears that items spawn twice: For example often there are two dragons eggs at one position
(at least after removing one egg and killing a dragon, but i don't know if it won't happen if no egg removed nor dragon killed yet, i did not purposely watch it)
- so this is a place for a high chance for the developers to find/check the reason for double-appearances.   

(not that bad - but please add a use for these dragon eggs-
 i think of a "dragon skin potion/dragon egg-meal", (see below pitcher) similar duration to beer, serveable on a table as food, that gives a 33 or 66% (fireball?)-resistance to dwarves maybe add some glow-effect to the dwarves then or display some additional heart(s)- that would equalize the fireballs frequency of the keeper and could reduce dragons damage - but the dragons damage could be 3 or 4 times the current and not just blow the dwarves through the area )

also doubling very often the goblins-camp-drops, seems to affect also the amount of appearing goblins: i had that quadrupled already multiple times.

btw, goblins camp:

what am i supposed to do with 3 large kitchen stoves at once, 3 smithys and 9 comfort beds? I disassemble all that stuff...

Anyway i think the LOOT from goblins camp is way to OVERPOWERED. Awaiting the goblins is like abusing the infinite chest-loot-bug the game had previous versions 0.9.0.13.

I got my "true dwarf"-achievement (200 gold-ore) by disassembling the loot (yatagans & golden helmets they always have) and maybe digging 20 pieces of gold myself... I never need to craft any elevator, neither diving helmets nor fishing rods.

For this i would suggest: a medium kitchen stove would be enough, so i have a reason to craft the large ones by myself additional to those i find in some tombs... - maybe a mill, workbench, smithy etc. ONCE but not that masses of valuable finished/already crafted stuff and predicteable the same.

remove santas jacket and the fifth portal part from the camps drops please.

The camp should drop MUCH MORE RANDOMIZED and also cheap raw materials as coal, ingots, boards, oil or simple items as barrels, bottles, buckets, ladders, food, cheap & later also better tools (axes, pickaxes) etc. Why should goblins have mithril armor- and not wear it? does not fit in size? They have Yatagan and attack me with a wooden spear? makes no sense.

Perfect were the camps drop items (value|count) depending on players level. 

+ if dwarves equipped with goblins spear they have 2 different attacking-animations but if one of them (i don't remember if up/down or left-right) is played they make no damage +

The goblins shaman: why does he not fight back? I would await him to be the hardest of them that protects the camp and to use some magic (sparks or fireballs?)

Oh yes, i forgot, something:

-equipping potions-

i would like to check potions in equip-menu for dwarves equipped with a staff as the arrows for dwarves equipped with a bow so a dwarf needs my OK to use a potion and i can prevent them for example from casting the beholders into snails ( i need the beholders eye for new snail-potion :D )

-items falling onto hatches/ overgrown background-blocks to mine-

odd behaviour in both cases: if an item drops onto a hatch (i think only happens if closed and i think it happens on other doors too) or if a background block gets marked to mine and the block gets overgrown by leaves in the meantime. Then dwarf comes, mines the background, leaves disappear and mined resource-drop is placed block-centered - you have to look at it, i can't describe, both looks weird.

-price for heavy bow/ mithril-staff in the shop-

the heavy bow at 15 gold is a real bargain (2 bars of mithril-ingot cost already 20) so 30 gold would be adequate for this powerful thing.
the mithril-staff at 35 is a little too expensive compared to the bows power but it has more reach, so concerning this and the needed resources i think both should cost 30.

-silver arrows-

silver is more rare than gold in the game since there's no earth-layer that drops random gold plus the much gold the goblins bring into the game. So crafting silver arrows from silver-ingots is way to expensive and one does it only once to proceed in campaign mode.
Simple silver were expensive enough - or add some random silver-drops in the sand-coal-earth-layers. Also iron/steel arrows instead (there's enough of iron since skeletons drop metal gear that one can disassemble) were thinkeable

-pitcher-

also found in goblins camp...
what is it used for? Its not required to craft anything else from it as far as i know. Does every dwarf need one? how can i give it to them then? Is it supposed to be placed onto a table? What do i put inside? Dragon-eggs liquid? Put an egg into 3 pitchers to get 3 meals... just raise the amount of at once crafted pitchers.

-paper-

what else is it used then for crafting pictures?
i imagine to have some dwarf that goes to a desk (like a lab) and writing something onto it. Needs paper, color, a feather and some magical mushroom, spider-web, brain, bone, slime or crystal depending on spell. This could be an alternative way for magic without the use of players mana-points. Like i can craft for example "summon imps"-scroll (make it craft a few at once as the potions) and cast it once (so the scroll disappears but no mana used)

-tesla-tower deconstruction-

if i remove some already placed level 3-tesla tower completely thereafter i get only the resouces for a level 2-tesla so i suspect the top-tesla does not drop the resources

-towers on bridges/towers falling-

if placing tesla/ballista onto wooden/stone bridges (not logbridge) the tower should not fall while changing bridge-layout. Maybe only fall if quickslot that contains currently the bridge-icon is not active any more or no more bridge in quickbar at all to prevent them from accidently falling.
if placing towers above any item onto any bridge (i can for sure say this about stockpiles and tower on logbridge above) and thereafter remove the bridge then the tower and the stockpile "share" the block - so they are both a this position- is purpose? Perhaps better to "lock" a block as long as some tower is placed onto, so they can not be removed (as the earth is locked where some tree grows or where some pillar is placed onto)

-campaign tutorial quest idea-

as the quests like "dig a tunnel" etc there could be also some "shape your environment and place earth, sand or stones" where the player has to place at least one foreground and one background-block of any of the 3. I can remember when i played the first time (v 0.9.0.04) that i was fascinated by that little dwarf hunting snails and digging tunnels but i had no idea that i can place simple stone or dirt to build, and not just the crafted objects.

-readability-
goes to your GUI-artists:

please change the fonts appearance of portal-spell-timer and in crafting menu, the items-count:
Either outline or shade the font so one can always read it, no matter what background-color there.

sorry for that much to read, i hope you have the time and i guess i should have added this to the other thread.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2014, 07:37:35 by ReneMiner »
playing Craft The World on Windows 10, Intel Core i5-3330 @3.0 GHz, 8 GB Ram, nVidia Gforce GT630 2 GB DDR3 @835MHz (+ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory)

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2014, 12:12:24 »
I feel like I should get a medal because I read this all ;D

About dragon eggs - this is really nice idea, we've searching for some application of this, and your idea is great.

Maybe you have some ideas about characters in 4-th world (big cave)? Such creatures from which can be dropped materials and items which already exist in the game. Or some replacements for creatures which already exist in other worlds and in new world should be analogue of them.

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2014, 18:59:38 »
Where shall i send that medal? :)

Cave trolls, would be good climbers and wear huge (bone-?) clubs perhaps as a replacement analogue to yetis, thinkeable source for simple weapons, needles or other random clutter (shoes, berries, a glass of beer, a coin or some cone) in their pockets

Instead of boars it could have badgers (russ. "barsuk"), can look funny but be very aggressive, could dig small tunnels through (dirt-)earth and sand no matter if player-placed or not, but should not dig stones, neither deep-layer-earth nor crafted items, also no digging of blocks where something grows on, may remove leaves, eat up planted wheat, thinkeable source for fur, needles, fat, meat, could toss around stuff from stockpile if gets close enough to stockpile, could steel food from tables and/or stockpile - does not care for totem of course so dwarves have to protect their house & food or leave the doors closed. Can be stopped/affected by traps, fences, spikes & cages, count as enemy so mages might cast them to snails and very small meat/fat-drops if some at all. Not primary a food-source i think but it's AI should go for (the dwarves) food and attack only dwarves that come to close

Fireflies/ will-o'-wisp : spawn in dark areas or at night time , could cast weak fireballs and be a source for resin, chitin, could be a moving, bright light-source - will often distract player then.

resources that are not available?

What about "Grunt", could his store play a role?

Grunt could buy certain items on demand only  - not anything and only once per day - so player always can trade as long as he has coins or the resources Grunt currently demands.

That could solve a problem of unavailable resources in a certain world without "offering it all" and would be an elegant way to get around the coding of some huge trading-menu and stops those crying for an option to sell stuff.

Orc says: "I buy 10 Gold-ingots and i pay 30 coins. Can you deliver this?" Yes/Later/No,
if click "yes", 30 coins drop in front of store and remove 10 gold-ingots from player. Sale done for today.
if click "later" then keep this offer valid until player chooses either "yes" or "no"
if click "no", orc says "come back tommorow when i need something else"
next day he might offer: "I need 25 wooden barrels, square windows, whatever... and i pay 15 coins. Can you deliver this?" ...
« Last Edit: 11 December 2014, 01:45:37 by ReneMiner »

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2014, 14:09:23 »
Nice ideas, thank you!

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2014, 18:35:24 »
just one addition to the trading-idea:

the prizes Grunt is willing to pay must be lower then the prizes he demands for the stuff in his shop- else the player could simply buy it and sell it back.
Perhaps the offers he makes should be really random-generated on a base of, lets say 70% (* 0.7) or less of the prizes he sells for. He needs a profit...

thoughts:

the players level should set the "maximum coins" Grunt will offer (alike maximum 3 coins per offer at level 1, 4 coins at level 2 etc.)

then a function selects a random "item x" from his shop that costs equal or less then the "maximum coins",
divides the "maximum coins" by 70% of the shop-sales-prize for "item x" to get an "amount of item x" he demands today
calculate Int("amount of item x" *  0.7) to get the "offered amount of coins"  for "amount of item x"
-it might happen he only offers 1 coin in the beginning-.

"item x" has to be crafteable -no dirt, crystals, ores, skillbooks, resource-drops etc.- 
Simple: Grunt will demand only items that can be crafted in single units and that can be disassembled. 

number "amount of item x" & icon of "item x" & arrow|equal sign & number "offered amount of coins" & icon of a coin

in a bubble above his head if or on a sign in front of his store (to save on gui-buttons, as a reminder for the player &  have the environment feeling "alive & dynamic")

If the trader steps in, i'd also suggest to reduce the coin-drops: none any more at digging (who buried these coins?)
but more coins from goblins & other creatures (keepers), random from stockpile-ghosts maybe
« Last Edit: 14 December 2014, 18:04:28 by ReneMiner »