Author Topic: Crafting  (Read 2799 times)

Gazz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Crafting
« on: 22 November 2014, 01:03:28 »
Hoi.

This is a neat little game but the crafting is... horrible.

All the unnecessary dragging gets old really fast.

If I click on a recipe (and have the resources) the game should auto-fill the crafting grid.
That's really not asking much, is it?

PS:
 I can only see very few topics on this forum.
There seems to be an age filter but there is no option in the profile or somesuch to disable such a filter.
I would expect that this has been suggested 4569872345 times before but since I cannot see these posts...

PPS:
The forum rules that everyone has to accept when registering display some russian text while everything else is in english.
Is that programmer humor?

Firestar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2014, 12:22:37 »
+1

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2014, 16:18:27 »
Hoi.

This is a neat little game but the crafting is... horrible.

All the unnecessary dragging gets old really fast.

If I click on a recipe (and have the resources) the game should auto-fill the crafting grid.
That's really not asking much, is it?

PS:
 I can only see very few topics on this forum.
There seems to be an age filter but there is no option in the profile or somesuch to disable such a filter.
I would expect that this has been suggested 4569872345 times before but since I cannot see these posts...

PPS:
The forum rules that everyone has to accept when registering display some russian text while everything else is in english.
Is that programmer humor?

We save crafting as drag and drop in order to create a feeling that the player is collecting items from the pieces. In addition, we decided to keep such system to make it the same as in custom game where you can craft without a recipe.

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2014, 15:50:07 »
This is not a reason

Even in custom game it were possible if the player crafted an item once already to auto-populate the grid with the needed resources.

I'm a sandbox-player and i played CtW probably more than 1000 hours already. I can live with drag'n drop, but honestly i don't like it and the crafting-grid and all that procedure around makes some "very from other games inspired" impression - just not to say its a copy of ...

If accidently picking a wrong resource or just clicking instead of dragging mostly clears the grid and one has to start all over -
drives players more mad than the drag & drop-procedure

Also irritating: the icon for raw resources as wood, stone etc. in the crafting-menu looks like the wood-icon. I can't tell how often i already tried to drag this wood - which is none - into the grid.
Please change that icon.

Same tedious boring gameplay: equipping life-potions during battle - there could be a shortcut needed because its tedious to stop the fight every 0.5 seconds, browse and equip all dwarves that need one a life-potion. I would appreciate some key like CTRL+P/H
for "Heal" or "Potion" that equips one to all dwarves that miss a heart.
Even a "take potion"-button next to siege-mode-button would improve the gameplay.

Also for battle:
please add some special combination like holding SHIFT-key while click will ONLY mark/unmark enemies to fight.
 I'm sick of accidently clicked environment and dwarves starting to remove fences or cages and log trees instead of attacking the trapped enemy
Or just make the red portals markeable to attack so any that comes out gets marked automatic.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2014, 16:01:40 by ReneMiner »
playing Craft The World on Windows 10, Intel Core i5-3330 @3.0 GHz, 8 GB Ram, nVidia Gforce GT630 2 GB DDR3 @835MHz (+ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory)

leonov2010

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2014, 11:37:17 »

We save crafting as drag and drop in order to create a feeling that the player is collecting items from the pieces...

That's your thought, most of players just shake head, laugh and decide to give up after awhile.  >:(

Gazz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2014, 18:09:10 »
Oh well. The rest of the game is nice but with this crafting it's just too tedious to play for any serious length of time.

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2014, 12:51:06 »
Also you can use double-click fill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8E3PI09Ko

Albinas76

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2015, 15:47:55 »
There are many things old, that stay unused in warehouse. I would like to suggest- why not discraft them with some penalty? it will not stop the mining, it is the same forest- it is growing again, but we need more and more. 

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2015, 18:46:47 »
you can do this already- place the item to disassemble into the slot where usually the resulting items appear and click craft-button to disassemble your unneeded items.
Some items can not be disassembled: mostly such that don't get crafted in single units.   
playing Craft The World on Windows 10, Intel Core i5-3330 @3.0 GHz, 8 GB Ram, nVidia Gforce GT630 2 GB DDR3 @835MHz (+ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory)

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2015, 21:12:42 »
also to crafting:

Cumbersome 1:

For example i want to craft a workbench, so i craft some simple table first.
Then i have to click onto the result-slot for the table to be added to the inventory first and then go to the page with the table and drag it into the grid from there.

why is it not possible to drag the resulting item instantly back into the grid?

Cumbersome 2:

If crafting for example some item that is not shown at the front-page of the items section (as food, halfstuff, furniture) and i click onto the resulting-item-slot after crafting for it to be added to stockpile, the menu automatic opens to the right section - but always the first page only even if the item is on another page :(
It were not that annoying if it were possible for example to drag a just crafted pot back into the grid to craft a campfire-kitchen as next since one would not have to browse the inventory for the correct page to find the pot again.

« Last Edit: 04 February 2015, 21:19:04 by ReneMiner »