Author Topic: v 1.0, issues  (Read 19472 times)

ReneMiner

• View Profile
v 1.0, issues
« on: 16 December 2014, 16:38:16 »
i certainly can not tell this and that is wrong with the ai but...

as already mentioned i prefer playing sandbox, but yesterday i tried a campaign-game. I gave up!

There are a few issues that will happen also in sandbox-mode but happen much more often in campaign as undone tasks. I don't know how and why but exiting and re-entering makes them dwarves going again mostly.

I can for sure report the following issues:

siege-mode (forbid to leave shelter):

• if turning on siege-mode all tasks that are given previously turning siege-mode on outside shelter-borders get ignored after turning siege-mode off, applies also to crafting-queue if only one of the required crafting-stations is outside the shelter-borders, (like a kitchen in some ancient tomb)  - exiting and restarting the game will solve this

• if giving tasks outside shelter-borders at block x,y while siege-mode on - so message appears - the game is screwed forever. Tasks concerning block x,y get ignored forever in this savegame thereafter, no ressources get collected there any more, nothing will be built there, neither dig, nor replace, nothing - to collect ressources there either summon imps, use magic collect or just dig the block below x,y so resources fall down to y+1 where these get collected then. No other way to solve this. To build/dig/replace there from now on only possible if taking over manual control of a dwarf.
Also happens if dwarves have to remove some leaf before they can return to shelter at all. Position where that leaf was growing/dropped get's ignored from now on and forever in this game.
Same goes to places where some item is to collect and some dwarf already on his way to go there when turning siege-mode on.

horn-spell (gathering dwarves at a location):

• if using horn-spell to gather the dwarves (for a wave or a keeper) then have to CANCEL horn-spell BEFORE BATTLE ENDS.
Else resources that drop while horn-spell active won't get collected and stuff to craft at some stations won't get crafted if horn-spell still active when dwarves "plan their next actions after battle", exit & restarting the game solves this.

major issues:

• dwarves ignoring enemies that attack them while doing something like logging, digging, gathering water, dwarves not helping their comrades standing next to them fighting enemies

• space-bar/ green arrows at ai-info-bar (browsing through dwarves)
displaying wrong dwarves health and ai-state, only the first dwarves health will be shown correct, all others show also the first dwarves state
displayed ai-states ("attacking enemy", "waiting for elevator", "idle" etc.) totally messed up and only around 5% showing the correct ai-info

minor:

• let's craft stone-bridges in campaign please, instead of useless, ugly, black columns

• dwarves using the weapon/tool they planned to use for the given task to remove leaves that are in their way. So on attack a mage uses mages staff, archer uses bow, on planned mining they cut the leaves with the pickaxe etc. Maybe only wrong animation but looks weird, especially if dwarf was sent to gather water - i have to laugh if they cut the leaves with a bucket...

• multiple sent-out dwarves to do the same job, (mostly collecting) is a pain, messing up my portal-timing, especially if the item they went for is not there any more, but instead of picking any other item near them they return empty or just stand around then.

• sometimes when digging a front-wall (only experienced in campaign-mode multiple times yesterday, perhaps once in hundreds of hours in sandbox-mode!) two dwarves come and dig front & backwall then.
Annoying inside the shelter... ;)

• manual control
often happens if taking over control of a dwarf that stands around, the dwarf does not react unless one let him place some item- even if item can not be placed, dwarf makes a small movement and then can be controlled.
if dwarf is currently waiting for elevator/rail, dwarf does not allow control until rail/elevator was used - so has to walk/climb all the way back then...
« Last Edit: 25 December 2014, 11:32:19 by Annieway »
playing Craft The World on Windows 10, Intel Core i5-3330 @3.0 GHz, 8 GB Ram, nVidia Gforce GT630 2 GB DDR3 @835MHz (+ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory)

ReneMiner

• View Profile
Re: v 1.0, issues
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2014, 19:08:57 »
some more concerning enemies from waves going for player-placed stones, sometimes really stupid.

Skeletons destroy my lake instead of going for my house:

portal opens, instantly start to hit block they are standing on:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=357004881

thereafter they take the next block.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=357004920

After the wave i needed to repair my lake but not my house:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=357018598

skeletons dig 1 block away diagonally (happens often) so i would have time to replace the digged block now...
already instantly overgrown:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343752650
look for the shaking stone-block:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=345759297
also here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=347261579

and 1 more for the german version:

the craft-menu is captioned "Geschäft" which means "Store" or "Shop" but we don't buy nor sell stuff here...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=345760311

"Magazin" or "Lager" were correct here

portal-part keepers should not be placed on changeable stones as bricks etc...
i just trap him by changing the bricks layout:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356115614
and he has no chance since he can not move:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356115740
« Last Edit: 20 December 2014, 21:33:56 by ReneMiner »
playing Craft The World on Windows 10, Intel Core i5-3330 @3.0 GHz, 8 GB Ram, nVidia Gforce GT630 2 GB DDR3 @835MHz (+ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory)

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2014, 10:53:51 »
Thank you, will see what we can do...

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2015, 15:08:57 »
it's version 1.0.006 already but i use the pinned thread for this:

Please fix the dwarves behaviour if portal-spell above scaffolding.

Dwarves sometimes for minutes play walking-animation but do not move here.
Happens very very very (!!!) often.

Also please fix dwarves stand around in same place for minutes if blue portal they intended to use expires before they reach it.

« Last Edit: 26 January 2015, 15:17:31 by ReneMiner »

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2015, 16:58:05 »
the following illustrates a situation when the ai bugs out sometimes. Check the border between these magic explosion-holes - lightened with magic light here- does not happen always  but sometimes this kind of not completely closed border as between these holes leads to dwarves infinite searching way to gather the resources.

another situation (no image for this) if a dwarf inside elevator-cabin tries to place foreground-block/door at position where another dwarf is waiting for elevator. I mentioned this already and i'm certain it could be avoided if the waiting dwarf would step asides if possible -(in other situations dwarves do this and free the place where something shall be build)
- else the building-task should get cancelled.
This would eliminate 1 reason for elevators blocking the game-flow.

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2015, 11:07:24 »
Thank you, we will look at these bugs more closely.

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2015, 20:54:23 »
small glitch, happens if spiders are above surface and fireball-spell used on spider:
spider flies up into the sky

Archetype

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: v 1.0, issues - Freeze on order to go home
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2015, 00:07:53 »
I've had this a lot. PC version from Steam.

When I order dwarfs to not leave shelter so that they can run back from battle then sometimes one or two just freeze and stand still. Can be really problematic in battles and its agonising when it is a dwarf you have invested a lot of time when he just stands there with almost full life to just get killed and you cannot manual control in time. I've lost many dwarfs like this.

[edit] wow! I lost a dwarf right before posting. And then within a minute of posting I very nearly lost 2 dwarfs again. The second one had the minimum health one more shot and dead if I was slower.

It is the only real issue I have found.

You might want to make the coal recipe cheaper in wood. Bit sad when you have 200 wood and convert them to coal only to be left with 20. Almost better to buy in shop, but then its pretty much the only thing you have gold for. It's good the game is long and difficult, but you need a mountain of coal and for a supposedly cheap resource it can be a real buzz kill. Maybe 1 earth 4 wood.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 00:14:27 by Archetype »

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2015, 15:42:55 »

When I order dwarfs to not leave shelter so that they can run back from battle then sometimes one or two just freeze and stand still. Can be really problematic in battles and its agonising when it is a dwarf you have invested a lot of time when he just stands there with almost full life to just get killed and you cannot manual control in time. I've lost many dwarfs like this.

Will fix it in the next update.

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2015, 00:59:58 »
hi, it's me again.  ;D

now i know for sure:
if multiple dwarves go and start to replace the same block (that has a foreground-block) the dwarves ALWAYS "forget" to pick up the resource and "hide" it in/behind the replaced block.
This way around 20% of the mined resources get lost again.

How to avoid it:
Dig out the map completely and do not use "Replace"
or use magic collect on areas where something has been replaced to get the hidden ressources back.

Archetype

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2015, 02:55:05 »

Will fix it in the next update.

Woot! Can't wait :)

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2015, 12:06:57 »
hi, it's me again.  ;D

now i know for sure:
if multiple dwarves go and start to replace the same block (that has a foreground-block) the dwarves ALWAYS "forget" to pick up the resource and "hide" it in/behind the replaced block.
This way around 20% of the mined resources get lost again.

How to avoid it:
Dig out the map completely and do not use "Replace"
or use magic collect on areas where something has been replaced to get the hidden ressources back.

I am trying to "catch" this bug but can't do it...I will have this bug in mind

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2015, 13:51:08 »

I am trying to "catch" this bug but can't do it...I will have this bug in mind

i almost can't believe it- it happens soooo many many many times ;D

testing, step-by-step:

1. to make you get results fast:
-equip dwarves some good pickaxes as silver or mithril
-select an area with ores, stones or sand to replace
-if that area can be accessed by elevator it's helpful to trigger this behaviour because elevator makes dwarves reach the area within same time, but elevator not necessary, casting portal-spell around 10 to 20 blocks distance of the mining-area will do also.

2. send dwarves to dig 20 to 30 fore+ background-blocks in this area so many dwarves are in the same section of the map at same time and there's dirt available instantly.
try to have a few reacheable foreground-blocks leftover, displaying something else than dirt (above, asides or where dwarves are standing on) 
block should either contain ores or just be NOT plain dirt (stone/sand will work too) so it can be replaced.

4. while dwarves collect the just mined dirt place scaffoldings (if needed) and mark multiple blocks to be replaced with dirt. It's not important if replacing fore-or background-block, just should display something to replace within the block.

if you have a few dwarves in this area you have a very high chance (80-90%!) that they will do it and replace the same block.

Thereafter check behind the just replaced blocks using magic collect:

of 6 visible foreground-resources (and there were 3 background-blocks iron-ore also) = 9 together, 4 iron-ores got lost... that's > 40% here, but regularly (if add the really mined blocks ores to it) it tends to be around 20% loss altogether.

PS. i used some modified settings so my stone-knifes work as fast as silver-tools and my mana regenerates really fast.
I use this settings for testing-purposes only and i took an existing test-savegame here to make a few screenshots quickly.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2015, 23:31:30 by ReneMiner »

Archetype

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2015, 00:41:45 »
I was playing quite a satisfying game. Then I noticed I got a mithril helmet out of nowhere ( I think from a frostling kill) - Equipped it on one of my dwarfs - Next monster wave ruins me. About 8 beholders and tons of skeletons and zombies. All my cages and traps cannot stop them from punching holes in my base. 30+ skill books applied to dwarfs, several dead. 11 Dwarfs in leather do not stand a chance.

Coincidence? I think not...

Does the gear dwarfs wear affect wave difficulty? On my first play of the first stage I bought some high end bows for my archers thinking I would pawn the waves. Short answer - No.

I think the game has potential, but right now feeling like I'm being trolled.

« Last Edit: 26 February 2015, 00:44:18 by Archetype »

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2015, 12:44:59 »
I was playing quite a satisfying game. Then I noticed I got a mithril helmet out of nowhere ( I think from a frostling kill) - Equipped it on one of my dwarfs - Next monster wave ruins me. About 8 beholders and tons of skeletons and zombies. All my cages and traps cannot stop them from punching holes in my base. 30+ skill books applied to dwarfs, several dead. 11 Dwarfs in leather do not stand a chance.

Coincidence? I think not...

Does the gear dwarfs wear affect wave difficulty? On my first play of the first stage I bought some high end bows for my archers thinking I would pawn the waves. Short answer - No.

I think the game has potential, but right now feeling like I'm being trolled.

The number of monsters in the wave depends on how well you reflect the waves before.
If, during the waves of monsters or between them your dwarves died, the number of monsters in the wave will be less.
If you will be well to reflect waves of monsters, the number of monsters in the next wave will increase.