Author Topic: Game-Versions-Info inside main.pak  (Read 1939 times)

ReneMiner

• View Profile
Game-Versions-Info inside main.pak
« on: 09 April 2015, 13:17:39 »
This is not a gaming suggest but more about modding the game in a clean, "plugIn"-alike manner.

I've not found a versions-info anywhere in the main.pak - i hope i did not oversee it.

It were very helpful if the main.pak would contain a small (text-)file containing the games version-number this main.pak belongs to.

Currently modders mostly supply the whole modified main.pak that has to be renewed with each new version when the game updates.
If they would instead only have to supply the data to exchange, it were possible to use a mod on a new version of the game - even if it's author has not made a new version of it yet.
Also it would allow to use multiple mods at once.

Such small textfile as "Version.txt"
containing only something alike
Code: [Select]

inside the main.pak would be great help to keep overview about the main.pak's on the system, also in backing them up etc.
It should not be game-relevant file - just informative, so i might make my editor to append something to the file as adding included modifications name on a new line. 
« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 13:46:19 by ReneMiner »
playing Craft The World on Windows 10, Intel Core i5-3330 @3.0 GHz, 8 GB Ram, nVidia Gforce GT630 2 GB DDR3 @835MHz (+ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory)

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Game-Versions-Info inside main.pak
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2015, 15:36:00 »
Ok, will add such file.

ReneMiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2015, 13:30:43 »
sounds good-
a very valuable information :)

i think about a launcher that allows to select a .pak-file from CTW-folder and then starts the game.
Is there any ini-, config- or  registry-setting that tells the game the name of "main.pak" to use or would it mean for the launcher to rename the desired .pak-file?
playing Craft The World on Windows 10, Intel Core i5-3330 @3.0 GHz, 8 GB Ram, nVidia Gforce GT630 2 GB DDR3 @835MHz (+ 2 GB dedicated graphics memory)

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2015, 15:38:12 »
You should rename the desired .pak-file.