Author Topic: Random Ideas  (Read 1165 times)

Vagabond

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Random Ideas
« on: 29 April 2015, 14:15:22 »
Hello,

To start, I understand a lot of this might be a bit unrealistic given that this game is in a more or less complete state already, but for the sake of being thorough with my own musings I submit this on-going list of wishes that trace back to steam release.

1) Movable innitial stockpile
2) Stairs, with wall type variations. Stairs would be a worthwhile block type added that would allow more variation in building, and also help keep water from getting in your house.
3) Ladders in wall type variations.
4) Matching suits of armor, with weapons.
5) Spears; Able to strike two tiles ahead, but weaker than their sword/bludgeon counterparts.
6) Murder Holes; blocks that can be attacked through by spears, spells, or arrows
7) Order system; Stay, always flee, ect.
7B) Battle stations when the "Stay in shelter" button is pressed.
8) A way to decide which dwarves are allowed to work at a particular crafting station.
9) A way to get dwarves to set out food on the table themselves.
20) Crossbows. Would be cool if bows couldn't be used in a single block tunnel situation, but would either require the tunnel to be two blocks high, or the use of crossbows, since crossbows require less space to use (which is why dwarves usually use xbows in most fiction)
21) I like the idea of gargoyle allies; if a gargoyle is attached to a block that makes up your shelter, it will come to life at night. It won't fly more than (5-10?) tiles away from where it's statue was.
22) Goblin camps only drop the items they've stolen from you in addition to some goblin "themed" items when the camp is destroyed.
23) Make turrets require a dwarf to operate

Now, the next part might be controversial, so just remember, it is simply what I think would made the game more enjoyable for me (since that is all I care about). I understand that not everyone may agree, thats fine; just remember, it isn't up to me what happens. I came up with this stuff as I played, thinking up features that sounded like they'd be really fun, this led to female dwarves, relationship levels, baby dwarves, and inherited skills. Inherited skills led to a more advanced skill system. A more advanced skill system led to a more advanced production system. Since this means a lot more work for dwarves, it means it must lead to individual leisure and work hours for each dwarf. Work/play schedule obviouslly means we need a happiness meter as well. This is the product of several hours of brainstorming- most of them way past my bedtime. Without further ado, I present my mess, bear with me:

##Happiness and Relationship##

Happiness would be something that would involve food quality, abundance, standards of living/overall comfort, companionship (if they roll with, or develop bad traits, it could be hard for them to make friends), the amount they work, ect.

Relationship is determined by how long two dwarves are around each other. It is influenced by their shared likes, dislikes, skills, ect.

##Families##

Once a dwarf and dwarf"ette" get a good enough relationship, they can exchange a piece of jewelry and be married. They can make children using their 'love' to infuse a stone in an involved crafting process to bring an infant to life from it; it'd be good dwarven flavor. If a dwarf is killed it turna to dust which could potentially have a use for powerful crafting enchantments involving skills and naming of items; or if they make it to "elder" status they take on a semi-stonelike appearance, and when they die they turn fully into stone, in the form of statues that can be placed, standing, arms to their sides and eyes closed, in a hall or something. There are many possible ties to this, and it will allow children to inherit skill in an explainable manner. They are derived from their parents essence, not simply a biological function.

##Time and Aging##

Time: Each day could abstractly represent three months, given real life times on construction and production. The length of a day might need adjusting. A 24 hour clock could have somewhere around 30 seconds to a minute being the length of a game day. Leasure time would fit in here, basically the way it worked in diggles was when you clicked on a dwarf it had a little clock in the corner with two moveable hands. The hands would be manipulated to decide what hour they start work and what hour they end work. During the time they were off the clock, they would build relationships, eat, sleep, and do little fun things.

Aging: Basically there would be eight age categories, each with interesting aspects. The base time is the standard length of time they are in that age group, the extra day is a "late development" factor. For example: Crawlers have a base time of one day. So they will always be in that stage for at least one day. After that day, the game will "roll" with a 25% chance at a second day. If they get that second day, the third day will be rolled with a 15% chance of them getting it; alternatively it could simply be an RNG, where it will just pick a number from one to three.

Aging could look like this:

Infant
-Infants are unable to do anything; they simply stay swaddled on their mother, which precludes the mother from certain activities.
-Base time, two days. One extra day possible at: 25% chance (Alternative: RNG, 1-2)

Crawler
-Crawlers do nothing but get under other dwarve's feet. X% chance of a dwarf tripping over a crawler when passing.
-Base time, one day. Two extra days possible at: 25/15% chances. (Alternative: RNG, 1-3)

Walker
-Walkers tend to wander off from the dwarf shelter, possibly endangering themselves.
-25% chance to do a light hauling task.
-Base time, five days. Four extra days possible at: 25/20/15/10% chances. (Alternative: RNG 5-9)

Talker
-Talkers talk. A lot. X% chance to distract another dwarf from their task.
-50% chance to do a light hauling task.
-Base time, twelve days. Four extra days possible at: 25/20/15/10% chances. (Alternative: RNG, 12-16)

Helper
-Helpers try to emulate the adults. They can do simple tasks like fetching pails of water.
-Can do a light hauling task, and 25% chance to do a medium hauling task.
-Base time, twenty days. Eight extra days possible at: 50/45/40/35/30/25/20/15% chances. (Alternative: RNG, 20-28)

Worker
-Workers choose a profession*.
-Can do light/medium hauling tasks, and 50% chance to do a heavy hauling task.
-Leave their parent's home.
-Base time, twenty days. Twelve extra day possible at: 75/70/65/60/55/50/45/40/35/30/25/20% Chances. (Alternative: RNG, 20-32)

Breeder
-Able to marry; Each dwarf requires a piece of jewelry. There must be an available Private Quarters with a double bed.
-Married Breeders can have children. Pregnancy lasts 3 days.
-Can do light/medium/heavy hauling tasks.
-Become Elders at two hundred days old.

Elder
-No longer work themselves, but instead "Mentor" other dwarves, it increases that dwarves skill gain and increases production speed. It is much more effective than the "Aid"

feature.
-Has a 75%/50%/25% chance to do a light/medium/heavy hauling task.
-After they are 240 days old, they have an acumulative 5% chance per day to pass away.

##RPG Aspects##

Settlement Level: As you/your dwarves do things, your settlement gains experience (as it does now). Given the change of balance in the game due to the introduction of reproduction, the default mode will make it so that each level simply gives you a bonus dwarf; they don't respawn. You lose when all your dwarves are dead. A casual mode could be an option, for those whom don't want to chance losing their progress on the world. Each level the settlement gains grants a bonus talent (see below) point to current and future dwarves.

Statistics: White Wolf's Storyteller Attributes system would be something to aim for; I think it would fit best with this sort of game.

Skills: skill system more inspired by the likes of ultima online in scope and complexity. It worked really well for Diggles, which was pretty much the same design as CtW. An important distinction to be made though, is that for example: Making a sword could be made more complicated by requiring a hilt to be made at the carpenter bench, the sword to be made at a forge, and the hilt wrap at a tanner's rack. This would require one wood, one leather, and two/three ingots of metal. However it would all use the smith skill for success/failure/time, BUT it would give a small boost to leatherworking and carpentry as a synergy; these could offer a small bonus to the smithing skill when determining quality, though.

Profession: Basically just a way to decide what their top priority is. A dwarf with the warrior profession will always fight first and haul later. A dwarf with the smith profession will always take up a smithing task before anything else; if you had two smiths and only one job, the one with the higher skill would take the task, while the other smith could "aid" him which would increase production and allow the less knowledgable dwarf to gain experience. The profession could also dictate appearance (not including equipables). It would determine what talents (see below) are available; professions, and through them, talents, determine who is a layman in field and who is expert - anyone can pick up a sword and swing it (and gain max skill in it), but only a dwarf in the warrior profession can truly be a devastating force.

Talents: Powerful bonuses associated with the profession chosen. Each level a dwarf gains in a profession gives one talent point. Talents can be presented as a branching tree where the warrior at some point can either choose to specialize in heavy damage two handers, sword and board, or polearms as one example. Another could be the blacksmith being able to eventually choose to specialize as either a weapon, armor or tool smith. I think it'd be important to preclude the ability to go down more than one path per dwarf.

Dwarf Magic: I think they should be more like runepriests in flavor; casting runes on objects or people skill name could be something like "Runescasting". They Could use foot long carved cylindrical "rods", that are otherwise undecorated; to stray away from the mage feel. THey could rune a door that is going to break to keep it holding longer, could rune a dwarf low on health to give him a rejuvenate property, could rune a dwarf so that whatever hits him takes damage back, could rune the ground to create quicksand to slow enemies or create earthy spikes, ect. Could possibly be a powerful synergy with different crafts, enabling them to imbue items with runes.

Crafting: There are six levels of quality for an item: Shoddy, Poor, Average, Remarkable, Exceptional, and Mastercrafted. The Quality determines the item's stats. Due to quality, there is an overlap in stats between the same item made in different materials. For example, a sword made in iron of mastercrafted quality is as good as your average steel sword, while a mastercrafted steel sword is equivalent to an average mithril sword.

When a mastercrafted item is made, you are presented with options:

1) The option to decorate it with gold (requires gold ingot and a crystal, color depending on item graphic) or silver (requires silver ingot and crystal, color depending on item graphic). Doing this has the chance of failure (gold more so than silver) which will lower the quality to Exceptional, but if successful will increase the quality to legendary, give it a special graphic, allow you to name it, and finally increase the item's worth; thus making it more attractive to have around. If it's a sword for example, it stops gaining damage and durability at mastercraft, but it will give the dwarf whom owns it a happiness boost from the extra worth (More from gold than silver).

2) Simply name it.

When a Shoddy or Poor item is made, you are prompted with the option of salvaging it and trying again. Shoddy items have a graphic version that looks jury-rigged or malformed in some manner.

All items have are used/worn/handled have durability. Repairing an item requires some of the base material and has a chance to lower the quality of the item by one step, the higher the quality, the higher the chance. Legendary items can never lose quality in this manner.

Equipment: Slots should be added to for greater itemization of dwarves. More types of armor; some that anyone can wear (leather), some that only warriors can wear (plate). Armor and weapons should have a iron, steel, and Mithril (which I think should have the blue toned down some; sticks out like a sore thumb) base version. THen Ornate versions that are decorated with gold/silver which would be the same thing, just make a dwarf happier (or remove negative "shoddy equipment" moodlets from vain dwarves).

-Head Slot, ex: A diving helmet (One of two items needed to work underwater), or a Mining Hat (complete with light)
-Body Slot, ex: A apron (prevents smithing failure from getting burned event), or a weighted vest (second item needed to work underwater).
-Feet Slot, ex: A warrior's Banded Boots.
-Right Hand Slot, ex: A mining pick, or runepriest's rod.
-Left Hand Slot, ex: A Warrior's Shield, or Quiver (for marksmen).
-Jewelry Slot x2, ex: Unity Shackle-wood (Marraige item, low quality for newly founded settlements), or Runed Torc of Knowledge (Runepriest enchanted torc, bonus xp gain)
-Accessory Slot, ex: Toolbelt (Speeds construction), or Crampons(attach to boots to help climb; doesn't help on surfaces such as unprocessesed stone)
-Outfit Slot; Vanity slot that allows you to choose and make the clothes the dwarf wears, depending on personality/profession. Spawned dwarves and young dwarves start with "Patched Aparrel", and get an outfit when they pick a profession. When they are on leisure time, they will unequip everything except their outfit. Ex: Runecaster's Tattoos, or Regal Apparel (For the vain dwarf)

Combat: Could be made more involved and varied by adding an avoidance skill that would do different things depending on how the dwarf is equipped.

-Single melee weapon, dual melee weapons (offhand weapon parries), or two handed melee weapons allow parry and dodge; a successful avoidance check means that the dwarf has a 50% chance to parry and a 50% chance to dodge.
-A dwarf with a melee weapon and a shield can block, dodge, or parry; a successful avoidance check means that dwarf has a 50% chance to block, a 25% chance to parry, and a 25% chance to dodge.
-a character without a weapon, using a dagger, or using a ranged weapon can only dodge on a successful avoidance check.

Training dummies and archery butts are available to craft. They can help (even non warrior profession) dwarves train offensive weapon skills to a certain amount. Sparring is available to professional warriors. Sparring can increase both weapon skill and avoidance, a dwarves' skill in either can't raise above their opponent's. It is important to note that any equipment used in sparring or against training dummies/archery butts will lose durability.

-The higher one's weapon skill, the less chance for durability loss when attacking or defending- it gives use to shoddy and poor quality weapons. No durability loss check will occur for parrying or blocking equipment if the character's avoidance check fails. Which item takes durability loss on a successful avoidance check depends on what form of avoidance was used. Taking damage can lower armor durability.

Do something awesome with this, and I'd gladly pay up to 20 bucks for a dlc/expansion centered around adding it to the game. I imagine it would be a lot of work. Rereleasing the game at 30-60 with the changes and removing the base game, while keeping an upgrade option available for those whom already own the game could be one way to do it. It worked with Dragon's Dogma and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (I bought both. >.>;). The rerelease (and upgrade) could include a "Legacy/Casual" option to play the game without these changes, but you still make money for them with future sales!

Cheers,
Michael
« Last Edit: 02 May 2015, 01:55:08 by Vagabond »

Annieway

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Random Ideas
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2015, 14:32:29 »
Hi, we're glad that you liked our game.

We also took into account your suggestions.

Neerorus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Random Ideas
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2015, 11:41:10 »
Not that much excitement I understand that it's important.